Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Bday #7

It was an interesting day. First Mikey woke up at 4:30 and watched tv by himself before Papa woke up at 5:30. Everything was great and wonderful...for a while. Then he wanted his presents. I tried to dole them out slowly, but that didn't work. He started off saying he wanted cake and presents and party games in the evening. Great, I explained the cake would be ready at 3pm, Papa would be home around 5pm, etc. Then he wanted the presents earlier and he kept asking for the cake NOW and talking about having friends come over.

I'm truly worried about how he kept insisting people were coming over, despite the fact that they weren't. He wouldn't go to the auditon and I tried really, really hard to change his mind. Usually I don't push an issue like this--it's his choice and trying to change his mind will just make him dig his heels in. But he misses having friends who come over, so I talked a bunch about how it would be a great chance to see people he already knows and maybe meet new people. He just insists that he has plenty of friends and that's that.

(Now this morning he is talking about how maybe Tutu is bringing a present for him despite several conversations about it coming in the mail. I'm not sure how to handle this...)

The day was saved by the mail! I checked the mail and he had two cards with $$. So we picked up the cake and he spent about half his slush fund on 3 toys. He only picked out two and then was happy! I thought we'd be there for a long time while he tried to spend all the money. I reminded him of one other toy he'd been asking for, so we grabbed that too.

We tried to look at Halloween costumes for him. I wanted to take a quick look at the decorations to see if there was anything we could get. Unfortunately, there was a life-sized mummy that made scary noises when we walked by. Mikey and Caroline started screaming and crying. I shouldn't have laughed. It was wrong. But they were screaming at the top of their lungs and crying and nobody noticed at all because it sounded like all the Halloween noise makers! I was pulling them to safety while laughing, so I'm not all bad.

Dinner and cake was great. I got over my funk at him skipping the audition. He'll go to Tae Kwon Do and soccer this week and we'll just keep rolling along.

No comments: